A Tribe Called Quest People’s Instinctive Travels and Paths of Rhythm (25th Anniversary Edition) Review

“Can I Kick It?” is the stand out song that I recall from Tribe. It has been 25 years since the hip hop group threw this out to the masses. With the anniversary here, the group has decided to re-release the record and has been received very well. You may already have this record, as I have purchased it several times time in my day. However, today, it just feels like a new day, because the recording is a bit crisper than I remember.

Perhaps it’s due in large part to the fact that A Tribe Called Quest has grown up, or my audio recording devices are light years away from where it was in 1990 when I first got a hold of this record on cassette tape. With the release of this special edition, you are going to get the original release, plus a few remixes, new artwork and more. There are 17 tracks found on this record, with over an hour of samples, rhymes, and the thing that you expect from the guys in tribe.

This is a classic hip hop record as it showcases the power of a laid back sound that the group put together. This is the type of hip hop that doesn’t spend a lot of time throwing up gang signs or anything like that. Tribe was never like that, they were more chill about life, rhymes and thoughts. With this release, you really get a sense for the art that broke through back then. Even today, a lot of rappers try to emulate what these guys put together with their release on this record. Of course, the group would put out some classics after this, but it’s still as solid of a recording as it was way back when. The production and samples on this record are stellar, and stand out above all else even when the rhyme schemes seem a bit “easy” to put together in my view.

I’ve always loved the production value of these early hip hop records, and “People’s Instinctive Travels and Paths of Rhythm (25th Anniversary Edition)” is a reminder of just how far we’ve come, and stalled in terms of musical production. If you put this on, turn it up, and listen to the beats and rhymes, you’re going to be taken back to where you were in the 1990s. This is a great record, even after all of these years. Stand out tracks remain the same, “Push It Along”, “Luck of Lucien”, “Footprints”, “I Left My Wallet in El Segundo”, “Bonita Applebum”, “Can I Kick It?”, and so much many others.

If there are any cons in regards to this release, it’s that the special features leave a little to be desired. I don’t really know what to expect. But this doesn’t seem like others in terms of extras, but I guess it’s ok. I’m not a big fan of the remixes, but I guess that’s ok for a re-release. Is this an essential record to pick up? Perhaps. Do you still have a good copy of this on vinyl? No? Then what are you waiting for?

It goes without saying, I highly recommend A Tribe Called Quest “People’s Instinctive Travels and Paths of Rhythm (25th Anniversary Edition)” just because it’s amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2KX Create A Lavish Musical Framework Beyond Comparison

In Isolation Paints An Incredible Post Punk Portrait with Tears

SweetEve Bring On A Rocking Sound Worth Your Time