Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Fenix Tx Self-Titled Review

Fenix Tx (1999)
Fenix Tx “Self-Titled” came out in 1999. I was only 16 years old, and I was buying up anything that was pop punk, or had a distorted guitar in it. I do mean, anything. My collection grew to hundreds of punk and hardcore records that year, and as I was learning to drive, I was buying more and more records. It was an odd year, and since all I did was skateboard, play PS1, and listen to music, this was a solace for me. Of course, that was a rough year since I was in the middle of growing up, and getting rejected by girls left and right. Regardless, Fenix Tx put out a record that I recall the guys from Blink 182 saying that it was the one record they would take with them on a desert island. Maybe it’s because they were on tour with these guys, or maybe it’s because they just really liked the record. Whatever the case may be, let’s discuss a few notes on the Fenix Tx “Self-Titled” from 1999, since I already talked about “Lechuza” from 2001 on this blog here.

First and foremost, if you were around in 1999, you already know what style of music was getting pushed by the mass media. Watching MTV was definitely interesting because they were playing a ton of pop punk, led by Blink 182’s releases and videos. However, this band hit the ground running with their fourth track on this record, “All My Fault”, and a great amount of radio play on local stations like KROQ in Los Angeles. The band has a nice poppy flow to their record, and it’s your classic Drive-Thru Records type of punk rock. With a higher pitched vocal, and the same style that made bands like New Found Glory popular, the band plowed through 13 tracks of comedic pop punk, with a focus on skate punk guitar work, and sing-a-long choruses about being an angst riddled teenager.

Stand out tracks from this record are all over the place, including their re-recorded versions from their indie career, and the single “All My Fault”, which is still a favorite of mine. Even though they don’t have the track “Feliz Navidad” on this record, they still have a powerful mix of music in the 40 minutes that were released. My favorites include “Minimum Wage”, “All My Fault”, “Ben”, “No Lie”, and “Flight 601 (All I’ve Got Is Time). All of which are a good representation of 1999’s alternative, punk scene from so cal throughout the rest of the country.

I give Fenix Tx “Self-Titled” a 3 out of 5, even after all of these years.


You can buy Fenix Tx “Self-Titled” by clicking here.


Do you have Fenix Tx “Self-Titled”? Do you still like it? Drop me a comment.

1 comment:

  1. The post is very informative. It is a pleasure reading it. I have also bookmarked you for checking out new posts.
    escape games

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...